Business Affairs Manager
Cast & Crew
At Cast & Crew, we’ve empowered creativity and supported the global entertainment industry for decades. Together with our family of brands - Backstage, CAPS, Checks & Balances, Final Draft, Media Services, Sargent-Disc, and The TEAM Companies – we operate as a combined entertainment technology and services provider offering industry standard screenwriting accounting software, digital payroll products, data & reporting, and a host of creative tools. The industry continues to move faster than ever, and the need for our expertise, our technology, and our people has never been greater. We are a production’s best ally every step of the way. #OneCastOneCrew
About Talent Payment Services
As both the oldest and the largest payment provider for actors, models and other performers working in Canada, TPS is comprised of a knowledgeable team of experts who can guide clients through the Canadian talent payment process, from start to finish. As one of The TEAM Companies (TTC) since 2012, TPS works seamlessly with ad agencies and production companies throughout Canada as well as those traveling across borders to ensure a smooth payment process on their commercial productions. The team at TPS is committed to providing unparalleled expertise, making the talent payment process as seamless as possible for clients.
Talent Payment Services is part of Cast & Crew LLC, a family of individually innovative companies modernizing the ways in which content is created.
Business Affairs Manager
TTC’s Business Affairs division is a fast-paced environment that provides Union and non-union Talent Business Affairs support as well as Production Business Management, Traffic and Network Clearance services to advertising agencies, media agencies, in-house agencies and production departments, PR firms, production companies and other creative partners to corporate advertisers The TEAM Companies’ BA division also is the liaison between TTC’s signatory companies and clients requiring signatory support. This position requires extensive experience in broadcast business affairs and talent payments, an excellent understanding of the ACTRA, UDA, SAG-AFTRA and AFM/CFM agreements and labor laws that impact the advertising industry. Proficiency in Excel, excellent communication skills and ability to work directly with clients and personalities of all types is a must.
Client Management Responsibilities
- Manage clients’ union or non-union talent related business matters: talent estimating, reporting and actualizing based on a thorough understanding of ACTRA, UDA, SAG-AFTRA and AFM/CFM agreements, as well as local tax and labor law considerations.
- Opening, tracking, reconciling and closing jobs.
- Estimating sessions and use.
- Generate all necessary reports: casting specs, talent contracts, production reports, completion reports, talent advices, etc.
- Review internal asset database for accuracy and reach out to clients regarding missing information and/or expirations.
- Evaluate, manage and resolve union claims.
- Responsible for meeting all client and union deadlines.
- Consult and advise clients on talent jobs, union rules, labor regulations and best practices.
- Manage scale and overscale negotiations and contracting.
- Manage and negotiates rights and permission as requested by Client.
- Proactively manage all account transition documentation.
- Provide ongoing Client training for business affairs/talent payment processes and procedures.
- Help cover immediate needs within the department if someone is out of the office.
- Be available to clients for questions, concerns, follow-ups, etc.
- Keep abreast of industry trends.
- Troubleshoot new challenges with teammates in order to share experiences and create the best solutions for our clients.
- Assist/guide on large projects that fall within area of expertise.
- Maintains organized and accurate talent/commercial files.
New Business Responsibilities
- Retention of clients through pro-active problem solving, respectful working relationships and responsive client service.
- Expansion of client business into other areas of Business Affairs expertise (e.g., music licensing, business affairs, production services, etc.) through thorough exploration of the client’s business needs and providing additional services or resources for such.
- Attend new business meetings as needed.
- Help develop leads/research potential clients if needed.
- Experience working with U.S. and Canadian performer unions (SAG-AFTRA, ACTRA, UDA AFM/CFM
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience in advertising or entertainment talent payroll.
- University level business education or equivalent work experience.
- Knowledge of Canadian Advertising Talent Agreements (ACTRA, UDA, CFM) and U.S. commercial union agreements (SAG-AFTRA, AFM).
- Accuracy and efficiency with numerical data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Bilingual (English/French) an asset.
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately with clients, colleagues, and staff.
- Positive attitude and outstanding client service skills.
- Professional interaction with colleagues, team members and other department staff as well as management and executives in a business office setting. Working collaboratively with team members to meet daily, monthly and quarterly, goals.
- Superior PC Computer skills and ability and willingness to learn new and/or proprietary computer applications as required.
- Organizational skills and attention to details.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability and willingness to learn on the job.
- Flexibility: willingness to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice.
- Responsibility to the team, department and company for status and completion of tasks and assignments in accordance with instructions, standards and deadlines or established timeframes.
- Ideal candidate should have growth mindset.
- Ability to work extended hours, when needed.
- Ability and willingness to stay current with industry standards and practices through self-education as well as attending seminars or other educational or training programs as requested or necessary
- Analytical thinker who possesses a service mindset and a passion for delivering exceptional service support across a client's lifecycle.
Special Work Conditions
- Sedentary – Involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Some positions may entail exerting up to 15 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force to lift, carry, push, or pull.
Cast & Crew provides a comprehensive package of employee benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, health and wellness programs, employee discounts, and more! Note: Cast & Crew benefits are subject to eligibility requirements.
Due to the high volume of applicants, it is likely that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CA residents: Your personal information may be collected in connection with certain services provided by Cast & Crew or its affiliated companies. A summary of your California privacy rights can be found at: https://www.castandcrew.com/privacy-policy/
Cast & Crew is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, citizenship or marital status, and to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.