UI Engineering Manager
We’re transforming the software industry. We’re Flexera. With more than 50,000 customers across the world, we’re achieving that goal. But we know we can’t do any of that without our team. Ready to help us re-imagine the industry during a time of substantial growth and ambitious plans? Come and see why we’re consistently recognized by Gartner, Forrester and IDC as a category leader in the marketplace.
Flexera delivers Technology Value Optimization solutions that enable some of the largest companies in the world to inform their IT so they can transform their IT. From on-prem to the cloud, companies can get the IT asset data needed to rightsize, reallocate spend, reduce risk and maximize ROI.
UI Engineering Manager
Fixed term: 12 months (covering maternity leave)
Time zone: U.K available/flexible between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
As the interim UI engineering manager for Flexera’s Engineering global UI team, you will be a leader that drives UI strategy and roadmap deliveries across the UI environment of our application that solves real and challenging industry problems for our customers.
Flexera gives companies clarity into their technology “black hole,” helping business leaders turn IT insight into action. With a portfolio of integrated solutions and products that deliver unparalleled technology insights, spend optimization and agility, Flexera helps enterprises realize IT’s full potential to accelerate their business.
As manager of Flexera’s global UI team, you will be leading a highly experienced team of UI engineers that are building and transforming products within Flexera’s suite. You will get insight to cloud, big data infrastructure and lead the team to continue building out UI capabilities to support Flexera’s architecture.
We are developing with some of the most modern front-end technologies, including React, TypeScript and Styled Components, working closely with Flexera’s design and product teams to continue to build on our “one source of truth” design system using Storybook.
Our products will give customers the visibility they need to be prepared for financial, operational and security events. The UI team have been building clean and smart UI for these areas over several years and are looking for an interim UI engineering manager to aid their priorities and objectives in 2024/25.
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll be responsible for the workload management, wellbeing, and professional growth of the engineers on your team. You’ll help foster an open and collaborative environment and support systems to help your team succeed.
You will be leading the Platform UI team within Platform Engineering, which is at the heart of the UI architecture and build of the front-end systems powering our platforms. You will be working in cross-product group collaborations, working closely with the UX Design team and product managers, and supporting our engineering teams to deliver the best possible experience for our customers.
This team manages the following UI engineering responsibilities:
- UI architecture, application infrastructure and dev operations
- UI systems using UI frameworks, TypeScript packages, and third-party tooling integrations.
- User interaction and web components/design system
- UI best practice patterns, quality, and compliance
- UI observability and support SLOs
- Lead the platform UI team.
- Manage team workload, feature roadmap resourcing & coordination in a fast-paced, highly distributed environment.
- Maintain visibility into the product roadmap objectives and share that information back to other managers and team members.
- Participate in team activities, such as roadmap planning, to prioritize features on the roadmap based on availability of humans to do the work and business objectives that need to be met.
- Support wellbeing of team members - providing support & guidance focused primarily on resourcing, technical progression, and soft skills.
- Gather feedback from others, provide coaching weekly & in collaboration with senior/staff engineers to advance team member skill sets.
- Recruitment - leading and coordinating recruitment process from initial contact to offer.
- Budgets - manage engineering tooling budget and renewals with procurement and finance teams.
- Support mentorship on technical upskilling and training UI engineers’ career paths
- Have fun solving difficult problems and managing high priorities across a broad range of customer requests.
The skills you’ll need:
- Min 2 years’ experience planning, tracking, delivering, and managing multiple projects at any one time.
- Strong engineering track-record focusing on front-end development & technologies (JS/TS/CSS/HTML), modern frameworks, maintaining UI quality and UI engineering best practices.
- Experience of operating a service at scale with observability and reporting on engineering metrics
- Experience with front end frameworks such as React, Angular
- Experience with Accessibility (a11y) best practices, tools, and techniques such as compatibility with keyboard navigation, screen readers and WCAG guidelines
- Experience with internationalization (i18n) and atomic design
- Experience providing business cases and proposals to Flexera’s senior leadership team.
- Strong communication skills in both verbal and written formats
- Being an advocate UX consistency, accessibility, and empathy for the end user
- Experience mentoring & supporting people and teams with empathy & professionalism.
- A good understanding of Cloud Technologies, big data, and SaaS products.
- High experience in business analysis experience to communicate comfortable with Product Managers and UX Designers for requirement analysis and driving the engineering team to come up with solution approach and design for delivering the requirements.
- Experience in remote-first environments and global teams
- Familiarity with Performance testing
- Familiarity with AWS and Azure infrastructure
Note: Handover with existing manager will be provided to successful candidate.
***This role is an engineering role and not related to user experience.
Flexera is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for open roles regardless of age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local/national laws, policies and/or regulations.
Flexera understands the value that results from employing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We recognize that equity necessitates acknowledging past exclusion and that inclusion requires intentional effort. Our DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) council is the driving force behind our commitment to championing policies and practices that foster a welcoming environment for all.