Senior Database Reliability Engineer
We’re transforming the software industry. We’re Flexera. With more than 50,000 customers across the world, we’re achieving that goal. But we know we can’t do any of that without our team. Ready to help us re-imagine the industry during a time of substantial growth and ambitious plans? Come and see why we’re consistently recognized by Gartner, Forrester and IDC as a category leader in the marketplace.
Flexera delivers Technology Value Optimization solutions that enable some of the largest companies in the world to inform their IT so they can transform their IT. From on-prem to the cloud, companies can get the IT asset data needed to rightsize, reallocate spend, reduce risk and maximize ROI.
At Flexera the Database Reliability Engineer is responsible for the reliability of our SaaS offerings. This team works with product development to define our Service Level Objectives and performs the work required to ensure we meet those SLOs. These teams employ agile and lean principles in a culture of constant learning and improving.
This role is to join a newly created site reliability team, working within the existing corporate systems reliability team, specifically to support the Software Monetization business unit. The business is about to make the transition from a hosted environment to AWS.
As a Database Reliability Engineer you will be tasked with automating every aspect of datastore management. You will own the existing database systems including MS SQL, PostegreSQL and cloud services such as Amazon RDS. You will automate the mundane, and design, implement and optimize the future.
Some of the technologies we use include:
- SQL Server
- Amazon Aurora
- Help to eliminate operational toil - seek to automate repetitive operations work
- Improve the fault detection for our services
- Help carry out root cause analysis for incidents, and design solutions (both software and human processes) that will help to ensure the same problem doesn't happen in the same way again
- Be part of an on-call rotation for alerts that require engineering expertise to diagnose
- Optimize databases to ensure they are secure, scalable and performant
- Work with product engineering teams to understand performance and behavior patterns
- Administration and Maintenance of SQL Server 2008/2012 instances
- Design or enhance database backup and recovery strategies
- Ability to set up and monitor various database high availability solutions, such as mirroring and availability group clusters
- Develop, implement, and monitor performance-tuning tasks
- Clone/restore development, test, and staging environments from production instances
- Execute schema and code promotions
- Keep databases in synch using (replication, mirroring, backup/restore, log shipping)
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently within and between teams
- Experience with working in remote teams
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Computer Science degree or related qualification
Critical Skills / Competencies:
- Extensive experience in a DBA or Database Engineer position supporting mission-critical databases.
- MS SQL Server experience
- Experience with automation tools (Terraform, Packer & Docker)
- Experience with AWS
- Strong conflict resolution competence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience implementing fault detection
- Experience designing scalable services
- Experience designing distributed, fault-tolerant systems
- Experience with database migration tools (Liquibase, FlywayDB, SQLAlchemy, Active Record Migrations)
- PostgreSQL, Informix, Elasticsearch
- Linux system administration experience
Flexera is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for open roles regardless of age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local/national laws, policies and/or regulations.
Flexera understands the value that results from employing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We recognize that equity necessitates acknowledging past exclusion and that inclusion requires intentional effort. Our DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) council is the driving force behind our commitment to championing policies and practices that foster a welcoming environment for all.
We encourage candidates requiring accommodations to please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.