Principal Software Engineer (Salt Lake City, UT or Remote - US)
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
PDQ, founded in Salt Lake City, UT, makes device management simple, secure, and Pretty Damn Quick. IT teams use our products to reduce complexity, improve efficiency, and enhance control in their unique environments. We are backed by TA Associates, a top-tier global PE fund. SimpleMDM and SmartDeploy are powered by PDQ.
PDQ is seeking an experienced Principal Software Engineer to contribute to the design, development and testing of PDQ products, as well as make recommendations to the definition and evolution of PDQ’s software development quality standards. In this role, you will define specifications for significant projects and provide expertise in the development of new products. As a technical leader at PDQ, you'll have the chance to offer guidance and mentorship to the best engineers around, fostering an inclusive atmosphere that encourages free thinking, diverse perspectives, and open dialogue.
Technologies we currently use: Elixir, Phoenix Framework, Rust, TypeScript, React, Phoenix LiveView, C#, Postgres, Kubernetes, GCP, Git, Stripe.
*Previous experience working with Elixir highly preferred.
How you might spend your day:
- Architect, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve software
- Design and build complex workflows into elegantly simple and reliable backend systems
- Work within CI/CD to deliver code often
- Work across the entire technology stack, from code to infrastructure
- Collaborate with teams to deliver on project priorities within deadlines
- Own the technical leadership spectrum including architecture, security, maintenance, bugs, incidents, etc.
- Identify, examine, demonstrate, and teach new technologies to the rest of the department
- Conduct research and prototype efforts with autonomy
- Exchange frank, constructive code reviews with your peers.
- Collaborate with UX designers to improve the fit-for-purpose of products
- Mentor other software engineers and encourage team-wide improvement
- Facilitate the cultivation of an inclusive environment conducive to free thought, diverse opinions, and open discussions.
- Refine development deployment pipelines and processes to ensure reliability and efficiency
Who you are:
- Ownership: You take responsibility for projects, drive results, and deliver on commitments
- Honesty: You demonstrate integrity, transparency, and ethical behavior in all interactions
- Collaboration: You work effectively with cross-functional teams and foster a culture of teamwork
- Improvement: You continuously seek opportunities for growth, innovation, and personal development
- Passionate about delivering business value by applying your engineering skills
- Experience architecting and building clean and simple solutions for backend systems at scale
- Possess strong analytic, technical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively through written or verbal medium
- Strong experience with SQL, data, and managing database migrations
- Experience building / consuming APIs and services using REST, etc.
- Knowledge of Git and Git flow version control
- Defensive security strategies for both client and server-side web systems
- Strong ability to create architecture diagrams, specifications, and other analyses from user requirements
- Passionate about the customer and product and knows how to take a customer-centric approach to decision making and change management
- Experience with containerization creation, use, and deployment strategies
- Expert debugging skills and pragmatic design experience
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks
- Ability to read code and quickly make sense an unfamiliar codebase
We're looking for people who have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent experience
- Strong experience designing resilient backend web systems
- Experience integrating with payment processor APIs , such as Stripe, Chargebee, Braintree, etc.
- 6+ years of experience working on a variety of professional software development projects
- Agile development experience
- Ability to work with, modify, and improve CI/CD automation technologies, such as GitHub Actions, Jenkins, Codefresh, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Experience engaging with open source projects and communities
PDQ offers all of the great perks and benefits you'd expect from working at a very cool tech company, and even some you might not expect, including:
4-Day Work Week
Managers who champion professional development and are technically experienced (the best kind of experience)
100% Premium Coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your dependents
100% Premium Coverage for Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life, and AD&D Insurance
Company match of the first 6% of your team member deferrals
Flexible Paid Time Off Policy that treats you like the adult that you are
Health Savings Account (HSA) and wellness incentives
Quarterly Company Values Award (team member nominated)
PDQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. If you would like to request reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Currently, PDQ team members who are candidates for fully remote positions can live in any of the following US states: AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, OK, OR, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI.