Associate Portfolio Manager (Seattle)
Business Unit:Investment Division
We are seeking an energetic, creative, and hardworking individual to join our Customized Portfolio Solutions – Equity (CPS Equity) portfolio management team. This team is responsible for the development and ongoing management of equity investment solutions which include Enhanced Portfolio Implementation strategies (EPI), Passive Index replication, Factor Investing, Tax Management, ESG, and other systematic/quantitatively driven strategies. These investment solutions are managed for clients in both commingled vehicles and separate account structures.
The Associate Portfolio Manager (APM) will be responsible for managing a set of investment portfolios plus assisting the broader team with all aspects of portfolio management, portfolio implementation, portfolio analysis, client service, and provide support to other Portfolio Managers with the CPS Equity team.
This role will be based in Seattle, and the successful candidate may have the opportunity to work a hybrid schedule in accordance with Russell Investments’ policies and procedures.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $90,000
Specific compensation will be based on candidate’s experience, skills, qualifications, commercial considerations, and other job-related factors permitted by law. At Russell Investments, salary is just one part of our compensation package. Our total rewards approach includes an annual performance bonus (subject to eligibility criteria) in addition to participation in our competitive benefits programs including healthcare, retirement, vacation, and wellbeing programs.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
Portfolio Management (70%)
- Working closely with different Investment Division Teams to manage portfolio outcomes that are consistent with client expectations.
- Ongoing management of separate accounts and other portfolios, which includes trade generation and trade instruction.
- Applying and interpreting quantitatively driven portfolio optimizations.
- Using detailed data to drive decision making in the portfolio management process.
- Tracking cash flows and other asset movements associated with client portfolios and requests.
- Implementing model changes systematically across numerous portfolios.
- Generating performance analysis, plus evaluating both before and after-tax outcomes.
- Ensuring that portfolios’ adhere to guidelines and compliance rules.
- Working collaboratively across various teams such as Research, Trading, Operations, and Technology colleagues to improve overall investment processes and overall investment platform.
Portfolio Reporting, Marketing and Client Service (15%)
- Being able to effectively communicate the investment process, philosophy and portfolio positioning to internal and external stakeholders such as colleagues within the Investment Division, global business units, clients, prospective clients, and other decision makers.
- Supporting the overall Investment Division and Client Service Teams by responding to inquiries given by both internal and external stakeholders.
- Preparing ad-hoc reports and presentations as needed.
Portfolio Analysis and Monitoring (15%)
- Overall monitoring of investment portfolios, including but not limited to the understanding of the relevant investment strategies, their associated risks, and become a liaison with relevant parties as needed.
- Reviewing portfolio attribution, portfolio analysis, and overall performance of accounts.
- Monitoring and taking the necessary steps to assessing acting upon all corporate actions that impact portfolio.
- Monitoring the investment guidelines to ensure that relevant portfolios are within compliance.
- Continuously assisting and improving upon the documentation of processes and procedures.
Responsibilities and Decision Making/Advice
- The Associate Portfolio Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management and implementation of equity portfolios, assisting other Portfolio Managers with portfolio rebalances, making live investment decisions, and effectively dealing with any potential issues that may arise.
- Any non-routine issues relating to portfolio management, portfolio construction, implementation and/or strategy development & enhancements will be referred to senior management and/or the PM team.
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- Minimum of 2-4 years portfolio management, portfolio implementation, trading, or relevant investment experience. Ability to demonstrate strategic thinking, investment decision-making, and financial analysis.
- Experience with systematic portfolio management or related investment disciplines; Tax Management, Factor Investing, Equity Trading.
- Knowledge of global equity markets, investment vehicles and strategies.
- Experience with programming languages (i.e., Python, R, etc.) is ideally preferred.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment.
- Ability to professionally represent the investment team and the overall firm.
- Proficiency with Bloomberg, Axioma or other related portfolio management tools.
- Ability as well as flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced, unstructured work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, mathematics, or another related field required.
- Progress towards MBA, CFA or other relevant credentials to investment management preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Russell Investments is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all associates and employment applicants regardless of race, religion, ancestry, creed, color, gender (including gender identity which refers to a person's actual or perceived sex, and includes self-image, appearance, behavior or expression, whether or not different from that traditionally associated with a person's biological sex), age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, past or present unemployment status , or any other characteristic protected by law.