Asset Allocation Strategist
Business Unit:Investment Division
Supporting the Strategic Asset Allocation team, this role will help develop strategic investment advice for defined benefit (DB) plans and non-profit asset pools. While the primary role will be supporting Canadian institutional clients, this individual will also include opportunities to support other strategic asset allocation initiatives across the global organization.
We encourage you to apply if you have current or prior experience working as a Canadian Pension Actuary.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
As an asset allocation strategist, you will work with our institutional clients to develop strategic investment advice through asset-liability studies for DB plans and spending studies for non-profit asset pools.
In this role, you will broaden your investment expertise by supporting global strategic asset allocation initiatives including other geographies or retail solutions.
You will utilize a deep understanding of Canadian institutional pension markets, pension de-risking and liability driven investing (LDI) to develop and deliver strategic advice to institutional investors.
You will have strong technical knowledge to generate & prepare asset-liability modeling for pension plans and spending studies for non-profits. You will also be responsible for generating thought leadership through blogs and papers.
Support Strategic Advice Initiatives
Providing on-going support to our institutional clients through a wide range of duties which include:
- Working on the Strategic Asset Allocation team to generate & prepare asset-liability modeling for pension plans and spending studies for non-profits, in close partnership with the Canadian institutional go-to-market team
- Participating in client meetings to determine investment program goals and assisting with the delivery of investment recommendations
- Acting as the key technical resource for pension risk modeling needs and subject matter expertise on Canadian pension plans
- Assisting with the development of provisional recommendations to potential clients in the sales & prospecting process
- Collaborate with Institutional team members to develop glide-path, de-risking and liability driven investing (LDI) solutions
- Collaborate with a variety of teams within the Investment Division and Institutional go-to-market to support strategic asset allocation advice
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- A strong client focus - meeting deadlines, high standards of work, strong oral and written communication skills and ability to explain complex topics to a variety of audiences
- An actuarial designation (FCIA, ACIA, FSA or ASA) is required.
- Project management skills and ability to prioritize assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- 5+ years of actuarial experience with a proven success record of advising institutional clients - experience with retirement plans essential; endowments and foundations preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with asset liability modeling to support strategic asset allocation advice. Coding knowledge and ability to develop and maintain Excel-based tools preferred.
- Progress toward CFA designation preferred.
- Working knowledge of institutional investment and/or retirement industry required.
- Ability to work as a team while proactive enough to work independently.
- Bachelor's degree required. Degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics or Actuarial Science preferred.
- Bilingualism would be an asset.