Global Compliance Monitoring Officer
Business Unit:Compliance, Risk and Internal Audit
Reporting To:Director, Global Head of Compliance Monitoring
Shift:EMEA/UK (Mar-Nov 1:30 pm – 10:30 pm IST / Nov-Mar 2:30 pm – 11:30 pm IST) (India)
About Russell Investments, Mumbai:
Russell Investments is a leading outsourced financial partner and global investment solutions firm providing a wide range of investment capabilities to institutional investors, financial intermediaries, and individual investors around the world. Building on an 87-year legacy of continuous innovation to deliver exceptional value to clients, Russell Investments works every day to improve the financial security of its clients. The firm is the world’s sixth-largest investment adviser, with $1 trillion in assets under advisement (as of June 30, 2022) and $288.3 billion in assets under management (as of March 31, 2023) for clients in 30 countries. Headquartered in Seattle, Washington in the United States, Russell Investments has offices around the world, including London, New York, Toronto, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai – and has opened a new office in Mumbai, India in June 2023.
Joining the new Mumbai office is an incredible opportunity to work closely with global stakeholders to support the technology and infrastructure that drives the investment and trading processes of a globally recognized asset management firm. Be one of the first to join this new team based out of Goregaon (East) in Mumbai and be a part of creating the foundation and culture for the firm’s growing operations in India. The Mumbai office operates 5-days a week from Monday to Friday with varying shifts to accommodate time zones around the world.
For more information, please visit https://www.russellinvestments.com.
The Global Compliance Monitoring function is part of the Global Compliance team. The purpose of the role is to undertake global and regional compliance monitoring reviews across Russell regulated entities and corporate fund structures by independently performing monitoring activities against relevant regulations, codes and internal policies and procedures. The monitoring reviews will consist of regular surveillance activities and ‘deep dive’ thematic reviews in accordance with the risk-based Global Compliance Monitoring program.
The role contributes to the overall success of Russell Investments by conducting independent testing activities to mitigate and minimize regulatory risks globally. The incumbent of this position will report directly to the Director, Global Head of Compliance Monitoring who is based in London.
Years of Experience
- Minimum of 5 years Compliance Monitoring or internal/external audit experience.
- Minimum of 5 years working in Investment management/Asset management/Fund management services.
- Sound understanding and experience of global compliance regulation (covering EMEA, North America/Canada and APAC).
- Testing/monitoring or internal/external audit (5 years) minimum at financial services firm
- Educated to University degree level.
- Conduct complex, risk-based, compliance monitoring testing in accordance with the global methodology across all regulated entities/regions as directed. Review work is conducted alone or working with other compliance associates.
- Prepare high quality planning documentation and Terms of References prior to conducting reviews setting out key regulatory rules, background, controls and testing scope/objectives.
- Review/understand key regulation and risks and construct a testing matrix to test controls identified. To document all testing undertaken in accordance with the methodology and to reach conclusions in relation to gaps/concerns etc.
- Assist in the preparation of draft and final reports in accordance with agreed format following completion of compliance monitoring reviews.
- Assist in the presentation of the report findings in a constructive and professional manner and to help the regulated entities in identifying acceptable solutions to findings.
- Monitoring and following up remedial actions arising from monitoring reviews and report on progress made.
- Support the annual global Compliance Risk Assessment process.
- Add testing evidence/reports to the ACA system and to be proficient obtaining reporting from the system as required.
- Experience of performing internal audit or compliance monitoring thematic review work in global jurisdictions and across a global organization.
- Experience of conducting testing activities across multiple fund ranges and strategies i.e. equity funds, multi-asset, alternatives, mutual funds, portfolio management etc.
- Technical regulatory knowledge around complex fund management requirements and a working knowledge of key applicable regulatory frameworks i.e. SEC, FINRA, FCA, ASIC etc.
- Experience of identifying and documenting risks and controls.
- Report writing experience.
- Track record of communicating at all levels of management.
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication and collaboration skills with all levels of management
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to adapt to shifting priorities and meet frequent deadlines,
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving with strong judgment and decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful and collaborative team-player, with the ability to also be independently effective and exude initiative and a sense of urgency.
- Exemplifies our customer-focused, action-oriented, results-driven culture.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities, has a desire for continuous learning, and proposes solutions.
- Ability to act with discretion and maintain complete confidentiality.
- Dedicated to the firm’s values of non-negotiable integrity, valuing our people, exceeding client expectations, and embracing intellectual curiosity and rigor.