We are in Business for People, empowering people in service organizations with innovative Enterprise and Business software solutions. We’ve innovated and taken a new approach to delivering ERP that works for people. Self-driving, adaptive and intuitive software that is changing the way people work. Our solutions empower people and deliver a better people experience so people can spend time on meaningful high value work they live for.
Read more on our website about how we transform work and how people feel about it, so our customers and their people can thrive.
We are seeking an energetic, proactive, strategic, experienced, and commercially driven General Counsel to transform the legal function into a world-class SAAS legal function, where the function proactively drives the strategy of Unit4, is seen as a critical business partner to all functions and supports the board of directors to ensure the company complies with laws and regulations as well as limit the risk exposure of the company.
The General Counsel reports to the Chief Financial Officer and in addition, the General Counsel will be attending all board of directors meetings and be a member of both the audit committee and remuneration committee. The General Counsel will have direct access to the Sponsors of the company and be expected to act as a critical business partner to each of the senior management team.
The role requires a deep and extensive knowledge of business-to-business software contracts and best practices for SAAS commercial contracts as well as on-premise commercial software contracts.
As General Counsel you will be responsible for ensuring that a company complies with laws and regulations while carrying out its business and operations; advising board members on relevant laws; responding to litigation and overseeing the development of legal policies and procedures in the company,
The General Counsel is primarily responsible for ensuring that from a legal standpoint, senior management is able to make the best-informed choices for the company. The General Counsel has important management and advisory responsibilities to develop a commercially driven legal function and create a legally compliant company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to senior management and the board of directors
- Develop a commercial-driven legal function that proactively supports the commercial operations of the company and proactively drives strategic change in the company
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Proactively anticipate issues and risks to ensure the company achieves its strategic goals
- Base your decision-making process on ethics and integrity
- Managing and liaising with external legal counsel, where required
- Supporting due diligence, acquisition, integration, and outsourcing projects
- Prepare the company for a liquidity event
- Attract, develop, direct, motivate, and drive performance from the legal team
- Ensure leading-edge best practices are implemented for SAAS commercial contracts
- Keep abreast of legislative changes
- Manage the audit committee and risk management processes
- Ensure the company compliant with company laws, regulations, and filing requirements
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with data protection regulations in EU and US
- Qualified lawyer
- BSc degree in Law
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an asset
Key skills include:
- Strong project management skills are essential
- First-class interpersonal and communication skills
- A team player able to work effectively and collaboratively with the whole team
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, labor law, etc.)
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Creative thinker and resourceful problem solver
- Be hands-on and have a Can Do mentality
- Energetic and with unusual initiative;
- Strong work ethic and enthusiastic about new challenges;
Join Unit4 and be part of one of the most exciting journeys in the cloud ERP software space. We’re a fast-paced, high-growth, people-centric company, delivering enterprise software for a great people experience, and offering our own people a host of benefits and development opportunities. Grow with us At Unit4, we offer:
- A culture built on trust - giving you the freedom and autonomy to be successful.
- Balance - with our uncapped time off policy, remote working opportunities and Global Wellbeing Days when the whole company can switch off and prioritize well-being.
- Talented colleagues, role models and mentors - work, learn and be inspired by some of the best talent in the software industry.
- A commitment to sustainability - with initiatives such as our Act4Good program, a way for everyone at Unit4 to come together and engage in actions that benefit society and the planet.
- A safe and inclusive working environment – supported by our Employee Resource Groups, which are open to all and include Women at Unit4, Pride at Unit4, Mental Health and Access at Unit4, and People of Color at Unit4.
Reading, United Kingdom